Sunday, July 8, 2007

I'm Out of the Tournament


We started play at 12pm and I lasted til about 1:00am. 13 hours is not too bad. Here are some of the highlights:
-I picked up some cards early but, everyone was playing so tight that it really didn't help my chip stack very much. We started with $20,000 in chips and I went as high as 23,000. After the first level, I really didn't have great cards the rest of the tournament. When I did pick up cards someone usually had a better hand.
-I made some good laydowns early with strong hands and was complimented by some at the table.
-Kathy Liebert was one table away
-One of the featured tables was right behind me with Scotty Nguyen. I think I heard him say "baby" about a thousand times.
-The third level of play another player was knocked out at my table. Guess who filled the empty seat?........."Miami" John Cernuto. He seemed like a very nice guy. I was short stacked for about 3 hours and I doubled up on him. I'm 2 seats to his left, I have about 5,000 chips the blinds are 300-600 ante 75. He was UTG and raised 3xbb. I pushed with pocket 5s. Everyone else folded. He stared me down for about 10 seconds. That was really cool. Man, was my heart beating fast. He thinks for awhile, calculates the odds, and calls with A,J. His hand didn't improve and I doubled up on Miami John. He said, "nice hand." If anything else from this trip, I'll always remember that hand.
-The last level of the night was 100 ante blinds 400-800 and I have 8100 chips. I only had to make it 2 more hours and I would have made it past Day 1. They split up our table. The is the second hand of my new table. Player to my right in early position raises 4xbb. I look at my cards and see pocket 9s. Here's a great chance to double up. I think it's probably a coin flip so I push in my remaining 8100. Everyone else folds and he calls with A,Q. Flop 2,3,5....good.....turn...........Q. Damn!.....river....8. I'm out!
-I learned alot from the people at my table. Just about everyone at my table were very good. There was another pro at my table but, he said he didn't play many tournaments and not much No Limit. He said he cashed at 2 WSOP events 10th and 25th. His name was Max Casal. He plays mostly cash: Limit $200/$400. Chris said he thought he recognized another player at my table. This was definitely some tough competition.
I'll post some more later. I'm disappointed I didn't get through day 1 but, I'm pleased with my short stack play. I got a compliment from Miami John which was freakin cool.
There are some pictures of me on the World Series website.
www.worldseriesofpoker.com/photostore
Event #55 July 7 Day 1B Table #225

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great time! Just think of all the stories you can tell. I'm sure we'll be hearing lots of them this fall while tailgating! I'm happy for you that you made it to Vegas baby and played with the big boys! :)

Jeauxdy said...

Great stories...too bad I don't know what the hell you said.....it's German to me. Looked liked you and the guys were/are having fun. Good to see the "G" out west. L.Cowart gives you first dibs on the Tru-Cut. Worked him for you today. Bring home 5Bens and it's yours.

EN09 said...

Always great to hear success stories, which certainly this is one of.

$13 into 10G's and a shot a millions is a Fantasy Camp come true. Couple this with your current winning streak, and you have a wave to be riding as far as it'll take you!

Congratz on your journey and continued successes!

BrainMc said...

Great job lasting so long. Too bad you couldn't make it to day 2. I didn't realize they had antes on day 1. We look forward to having you back in our local games.